The max metadata size translates to the HTTP/2 MAX_HEADER_LIST_SIZE
setting, defined in https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7540#section-6.5.2.
Since the status details are sent as part of trailing metadata, they count
toward this size limit.

The HTTP/2 settings value needs to fit in 32 bits, so the closest you can
come to setting it to unlimited is to set it to INT32_MAX.

On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 3:16 AM, aamit via grpc.io <grpc-io@googlegroups.com
> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Had 2 questions regarding using "grpc.max_metadata_size"
>
> 1. It was not clear to me that `max_metadata_size` takes into account size
> of "detail" part of response. Can we allow setting "max_metadata_size" to
> -1 to represent unlimited as with `max_send_message_length` and
> `max_receive_message_length`?
>
> The exception that gets raised (at least from python) when you try and
> return with details larger then `max_metadata_size` is
> `(StatusCode.RESOURCE_EXHAUSTED, to-be-sent trailing metadata size
> exceeds peer limit` which imo is somewhat confusing as I didn't consider
> "details" to be trailing metadata, and it does not show up under the
> response call trailing metadata.
>
> 2. Is the equivalent of "max_metadata_size" exposed anywhere in grpc-go?
> As far as I can tell Java does expose it through netty params
> `maxHeaderListSize`.
>
> Thanks,
> Ashwin

> msgid/grpc-io/31385f13-7406-4af5-b124-f511098074f3%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/grpc-io/31385f13-7406-4af5-b124-f511098074f3%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>

Mark D. Roth <r...@google.com>
Software Engineer
Google, Inc.