It surprises me that that would be the problem, because the default
deadline is supposed to be infinitely far in the future. If it really is
timing out quickly, then that is a bug. Did you see any output that
indicated what the problem was?

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/grpc-io/CAO8e_2JfPwrwRMs9PtmL4R0t3QN7WxkR2oAK8Q4rMfYY_zWaAA%40mail.gmail.com.