I'm not sure exactly how, but my suspicion is that you are somehow picking
up an old `ares.h` on your include path.

For what it's worth, we upgraded the c-ares dependency to 1.19.1 starting
on the 1.56 release (see https://github.com/grpc/grpc/pull/33411).

At that version, note that `src/lib/ares__addrinfo2hostent.c` includes
`ares.h` and `ares.h` defines `struct ares_addrinfo`.

gRPC 1.43 built with the older 1.15 version of c-ares, which did not
introduce yet `struct ares_addrinfo`. So perhaps the version of ares.h your
picking up is compatible with the 1.15 c-ares build but not the 1.19.1
build.