Thanks for that link, it was very helpful. It looks like my answer was
buried deep within it. That link has 1 subtle difference from what I did
which is to run openssl rehash on the directory containing the crl as the
final step. This creates a hashed filename linking to the crl and THAT is
what openssl is looking for. The documentation for set_crl_directory does
say it will "read all hashed x.509 CRL files", but what it fails to mention
is that the filename also has to be hashed with openssl rehash. That readme
link should also probably mention the same as it doesn't explain why it's
running openssl rehash at the end, nor is it obvious.