Someone (offline) asked me to elaborate on how I use the "tag" as briefly
described in my previous post.

The tag is a void*, meaning that on a 64 bit computer it is 64 bits of
information.

I use some of those bits as an "rpc identifier" and some of those bits as
an indication of what this tag represents.

For example, lets say I decide to use bits 0-20 to identify my rpc, and
bits 21-23 to identify the action.

Action can be one of the values
enum Action {
   RPC_STARTED = 1,
   RPC_REQUEST_RECEIVED = 2,
   RPC_RESPONSE_SENT = 3,
   RPC_FINISHED = 4,
   RPC_ASYNC_DONE = 5,
} ;

and int rpc_id can be any value from 0 to 0xfffff  (20 bits).

When I create a new RPC object I assign it a new rpc_id from an
incrementing counter.
When I call any grpc function that requires a tag, I use a tag that looks
like

     void* tag = ((void*)(rpc_id | (action << 20)));

Then when I get a tag out of the completion queue, I can tell what the tag
indicates:

     int rpc_id = (uint32_t)(tag) & 0xfffff;
     Action action = (Action)(((uint32_t)(tag) >> 21) & 0x7);

Now I can look up the rpc object with something like

     // I implement RpcIdToRpcPointer() as a lookup into an array of
currently running rpc
     // objects.  It could also be implemented as a map lookup.
     MyRpcClass* rpc = RpcIdToRpcPointer(rpc_id);
     if (rpc == nullptr) {
          LOG("Ignoring tag from bad rpc_id which no longer exists\n");
     }

And what I do with it depends on the action.

This allows me to distinguish a AsyncNotifyWhenDone tag (which I would
handle by deleting the rpc object) vs a RPC_FINISHED (which I might also
handle by deleting the rpc object) vs a RESPONSE_SENT tag (which I would
handle by sending the next streaming response) vs various other actions.

Since the RPC_FINISHED and RPC_ASYNC_DONE both cause me to delete the RPC,
it is important that I do not use a pointer to the rpc object as a tag.  If
one of those events causes the rpc to be deleted, and then later I get the
tag for the other event, I could end up deleting the object twice (big
problem).  By instead using an rpc_id to look up the rpc I can tell if I
get a tag from an rpc that has already been deleted (the
RpcIdToRpcPointer() returns nullptr).  When RpcIdToRpcPointer() returns
nullptr I just assume the rpc was previously deleted and ignore the tag.

The salt:

It would be nice if grpc would tell you whether there are any tags
"pending" (waiting for an event to occur, or waiting in a completion queue
if the event already occurred).  But there does not seem to be a reliable
way to do this.  It is unclear to me what happens to tags associated with
streaming response sent, or streaming request received, if the rpc is
cancelled.  So I have to assume when I delete the rpc object that some tags
for that rpc may pop out of the completion queue at some later time.  Since
I don't know how long I have to wait before that might happen, I have to be
careful about reusing an rpc_id for a new rpc if there may be tags for the
old rpc that can come out of the completion queue later.

To address this, I use some of the bits of the tag as a "salt" to minimize
the chance that a tag for an old deleted rpc is mistaken for a newer rpc
with the same rpc_id.

For example, I can use bits 24-31 for my salt.  When I first use a
particular rpc_id I set the salt to 0.  When that rpc gets deleted and I
use the same rpc_id for a new rpc object, I increment the salt value to 1.
Now I generate my tag as

     void* tag = ((void*)(rpc_id | (action << 20) | (salt << 24)));

and when I get a tag from the completion queue I do

     int rpc_id = (uint32_t)(tag) & 0xfffff;
     Action action = (Action)(((uint32_t)(tag) >> 21) & 0x7);
     int salt = (((uint32_t)(tag) >> 24) & 0xff);
     MyRpcClass* rpc = RpcIdToRpcPointer(rpc_id, salt);
     // Note: on a 64 bit computer you can use many more bits for the salt
and the rpc_id.

Now my  RpcIdToRpcPointer() function looks up the rpc object using the
rpc_id (as a key for a map lookup or an index into an array of rpc
objects), and then compares the salt to the salt stored in the rpc object.
If they do not match then I assume it is a tag for an old rpc and I ignore
the tag.

This seems pretty complicated and I wish there were a simpler way to ensure
that no tags from an "old" rpc are going to come out of a completion
queue.  But when using AsyncNotifyWhenDone with async bidirectional
streaming RPCs, it seems that something like this is necessary to ensure
tags are not confused. I'd be interested to hear how other folks handle
this.

Acorn