Dear all

A few months ago I emailed about a problem that I have been having trying to
use GSAS-II. The problem is that the structure which I am trying to refine is a
silicate framework structure, there are four restraints for each tetrahedrally
coordinated site but for some reason GSAS-II doesn't include all of them (see
below).

So I used the old GSAS instead I have got a reasonable fit, with all my
tetrahedrally coordinated site restraints in place. However, the 3 strongest
peaks are not well fitted, there is clearly something not quite right with the
peak shape, something is wrong with asymmetry of the peak shape.

I am using profile function 3 in the old GSAS, this uses S/L and H/L to define
the asymmetry. I determined these from a Rietveld refinement of a silicon
standard and then I have kept these silicon S/L and H/L terms fixed in the
refinement of my silicate framework structure.

My problem is that my structure is low symmetry (P21/c monoclinic, with a b c
all about 13 angstroms, beta about 93 degrees. My I11 data from the postal
service has a wavelength of 0.8259 angstroms. Peak overlap is a big problem
with such a short wavelength, which is the only wavelength that diamond can
offer for their postal service. I am finding that I am getting a much better
fit with my PANalytical X'Pert machine with Cu K-alpha than with one of the
best synchrotron powder beamlines in the world!

Has anyone got any advice on how to better model the peak shape in the old
GSAS, or how to get all of my restraints included into the new GSAS?

I am sure I could publish the structure from the X'Pert data, but as an old
synchrotron scientist it would be good to include the synchrotron data in my
paper.

Best wishes

Dr. Tony Bell
Senior X-ray Technician
Materials and Research Engineering Institute
Sheffield Hallam University
City Campus
Howard Street
Sheffield