From: gsas-ii-boun...@aps.anl.gov [mailto:gsas-ii-boun...@aps.anl.gov] On
Behalf Of Nick Weadock
Sent: 30 August 2017 22:58
To: gsas...@aps.anl.gov
Subject: [GSAS-II] Help with refinement of laboratory xray data

Hi,

I am attempting to refine diffractograms of the NIST SRM 640c Si standard that
I acquired on an Inel CPS120 diffractometer. I was able to successfully get out
the instrument parameters using peakfit, and the results are quite good (Rwp ~
5%).

However, I have no success when I try a refinement on the data.  The phase data
comes from a CIF file, and the calculated reflection positions match fairly
well with the peaks in the data. However, the "refined" pattern does not follow
the data at all (Rwp > 54%) and the background is much larger than it should
be.  I have tried several background functions and have varied the sample
displacement parameters and the lattice parameter, but nothing helps.

Has anyone experienced a similar situation? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
--
Nick Weadock
PhD Candidate, Materials Science