Just so you know, gsoap is able to be built as an apache module right
out of the box, which does what you are looking for (so check out the
docs and then explore the generated source a bit), but the apache
module will almost certainly be more efficient than a fastcgi
connection.  If you absolutely cannot use apache, then I guess that's
your best bet.

For what it is worth, I found that gsoap will quite happily deal with
raw xml arriving in its input buffer without my having to do anything
special at all.  In fact, it took me awhile to debug what the problem
was when I started talking to an external service, since I had my
client accidentally configured to leave the http wrapper out of its
request and my internal server had been handling it just fine. (just
leave the 'http://' off the front of the soap_endpoint url and it
won't send the http content).

--sam