Hi Tom,  Comments inline.

> On Aug 5, 2015, at 12:50 PM, Tom Downes <dow...@uwm.edu> wrote:
>
> Hi Stuart:
>
> Sorry for the delayed response as I was on vacation. A quick inspection of
> the repository structure for GT6 versus GT5 eliminates a number of my
> complaints.
>
> http://toolkit.globus.org/ftppub/gt5/5.2/
> <http://toolkit.globus.org/ftppub/gt5/5.2/> (e.g. I believe stable points to
> 5.2.2)
> http://toolkit.globus.org/ftppub/gt6/stable/deb/
> <http://toolkit.globus.org/ftppub/gt6/stable/deb/>
>
> For example, GT5 had different directories for Debian 7 versus 8. You now do
> this correctly by combining all deb-based dists under a single directory
> structure. You haven't quite gotten all the way since the more Debian way for
> this:
>
> deb http://toolkit.globus.org/ftppub/gt6/stable/deb
> <http://toolkit.globus.org/ftppub/gt6/stable/deb> wheezy contrib
> deb http://toolkit.globus.org/ftppub/gt6/testing/deb
> <http://toolkit.globus.org/ftppub/gt6/testing/deb> wheezy contrib
>
> would be
>
> deb http://toolkit.globus.org/ftppub/gt6/deb
> <http://toolkit.globus.org/ftppub/gt6/deb> wheezy contrib
> deb http://toolkit.globus.org/ftppub/gt6/deb
> <http://toolkit.globus.org/ftppub/gt6/deb> wheezy testing
>
> But this is a major improvement to the old directory structure. So kudos!

Thanks!

> Comment 1: when you're managing N machines, it's much easier to know the
> sources.list entries and the signing key. Automated provisioning software
> (Foreman + preseed, for example) tend to be unfriendly toward unsigned
> packages. Not impossible, but it's much easier when the documentation just
> tells you the right path and points you to the key and you don't have to
> export it manually from the GPG file. I can see why a .deb is easier for Joe
> Sixpack walking up with one computer, but it's not easier for me.

This is mostly a documentation issue. We can pubish a directory of the repo
configuration files and gpg key and include a link to that from the
documentation in addition to the repo packages.  I created an issue for this.
We’ll add this to our todo’s.

https://globus.atlassian.net/browse/GT-626
<https://globus.atlassian.net/browse/GT-626>
> Comment 2: Do you intend for the stable repositories to contain the past
> history of releases even when they have been superseded? I hope so as this
> facilitates version pinning without being accidentally left behind.

We keep older versions in the repository.  So, you can specify an older version
in case you need to back out from an update that goes bad, or stay pinned to a
specific version if need be.

> Comment 3: What is the closest repository to "proposed" in Debian-speak? i.e.
> a release that is going into the wild that, should no bug reports be filed,
> will be moved unchanged into stable.

We have “Stable”, “Unstable” and “Testing” repos for each GT release version.
Described here:

http://toolkit.globus.org/toolkit/docs/latest-stable/admin/install/#idp36524752

The Testing repo would be the closest to Debian “proposed”.  Once we/Globus
developers determine packages are ready, packages move from Testing to Stable.
“proposed” could be an email announcement and delay of those packages in the
Testing repo in order to allow the Globus community to do additional testing.
I don’t know if we actually want to do this delay, just thinking out loud.

> I am not sure how much consider gsisshd to be a part of the Toolkit, but it's
> the most important part of the toolkit that I use, with gridftp being one
> step down in importance. I believe that a lot of these problems still exist,
> at least in the latest 5.2 series releases. We (LIGO, the scientific
> collaboration for whom I work) repackage your packages to get around the bugs.
>
> https://globus.atlassian.net/browse/GT-492
> <https://globus.atlassian.net/browse/GT-492>

Yeah, we think we have these resolved in GT6.  Let us know if you find
otherwise.

> I am dealing with a number of physical plant issues in the data center right
> now, so I can't step through and re-create them on GT6. However, I was just
> standing over my coworker's shoulder and was surprised to see that GT6's
> gsi-openssh-server still installed it's startup/shutdown script into
> /etc/init.d on Debian 8, otherwise now on systemd.

This has been in our backlog, but a low priority since the non-systemd methods
still normally work.