We have seen similar errors when trying to use globus clients with
newer versions of openssl against servers with older versions of
globus.  I believe it is due to certain patches recently put into
openssl that break compatibility with older versions of globus.
Authentication functions work but whatever operations
require using the globus_xio libraries (transfering some kind of file)
don't work.  If I'm right the only solution is to upgrade
to newer version of globus on the server.

Steve Timm