On Fri, 2009-12-04 at 22:26 +0100, David Nečas wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 04, 2009 at 08:51:54PM +0000, Carlos Pereira wrote:
> >> I'm really not working on it - mainly for three reasons: 1) if you want to
> >> use GL, GtkGlExt is "good enough" and integrating it into gtk+ it's not a
> >> good idea;
> >
> > 2) GtkGlExt is good enough for GTK-2.0, I never had a single problem with
> > GTKGLExt.
> >
> > 4) Scientific/engineering applications often use OpenGL,
>
> Exactly.  I've been using GtkGLExt in a scientific app for years and I'm
> quite happy with it.  Cutter does not cut it if you need to visualize
> scientific data in 3D.

clearly, since Clutter is a toolkit aimed at writing User
Interfaces. :-)

Clutter has a very different scope than raw OpenGL - otherwise we
wouldn't even have bothered to write it. it's also one of the non-niche
uses of OpenGL, now that the Linux graphics stack is getting more
polished and we can actually use OpenGL for writing hardware accelerated
user interfaces.

ciao,
 Emmanuele.