On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 12:32:48AM +0700, Ardhan Madras wrote:
> One thing you should know that most version of GTK+ in today Linux
> system is using version 3.x.

This is somewhat inaccurate.  All major Linux distributions contain
Gtk+3 packages and the number of Gtk+3 programs grows.  But if you look
outside core Gnome3, at third-party programs, the number of Gtk+2
programs is huge.  Some will be never ported.  After all, even though
they are quite rare nowadays, some Gtk+1 programs still have not been
ported to Gtk+2...

> I recommended you to use also GTK+ 2 in Linux, and you can build it
> with no or less efforts in Windows compared if you use GTK+ 3 in Linux
> but build it with GTK+ 2 in Windows.

For new projects, I would not recommend using Gtk+2 unless you are
quite conservative or it is a small project using only stock widgets
(in such case porting to Gtk+3 will not be a big deal).

For larger projects, it is more likely that Gtk+3 will be fine on MS
Windows and Gtk+2 obsolete everywhere when you get to releasing a stable
version...

Yeti