On 03/06/2015 08:52 AM, Michael Torrie wrote:
No, this is not quite what I am asking for.  Capturing keyboard events
is fine, but I need the button to click visually, for feedback purposes.
  Just like what happens if you define the control key shortcut and press
that.

So the question is either, how can I get GtkButton to respond to a
non-modifier hotkey, or how can I programmatically get GtkButton to
visually depress and release?

You can call g_signal_emit_by_name() for the GtkButton "activate" signal to get the visual animation of a button press and release.