On Fri, 27 Jul 2018 07:32:13 -0400
Reuben Rissler <sil...@emypeople.net> wrote:

> I have also seen place_cursor_onscreen() work well. Now the thing is,
> none of this will work until the Gtk.SourceView has properly been
> rendered. This means doing something like:
>
>          self.source_buffer.set_text("my text")
>          GLib.idle_add(self.scroll_function)
>
>      def scroll_function (self):
>          # your scroll code here, like you use already
>
> So you see, the scroll part is not the problem, but rather the
> calculations of iters fails, because these iters are not yet, or are
> invalidated when the buffer/view changes.

Hello Reuben.

Thanks for the suggestion. Believe it or not, I had just arrived at that
same solution! I first tried to use GLib.timeout_add(), and that worked too,
if the time was larger than 300 - 400 ms, which is on the verge of annoying.
I then tried idle_add(), and I guess that makes the 300-400ms 'built-in'.

Now, can this visible delay be eliminated? Maybe disabling the scroll
animation alltogether? (it's really visually a scrolling issue) I haven't seen
this problem in Geany (which I believe uses scintilla).

I did a more complete description of the issue on Stackoverflow, because, at
first, I didn't see my question appearing on the mailing list here:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/51558047/how-to-select-and-scroll-a-specific-line-in-gtksource

John