Thanks for the suggestion. Believe it or not, I had just arrived at that
same solution! I first tried to use GLib.timeout_add(), and that worked too,
if the time was larger than 300 - 400 ms, which is on the verge of annoying.
I then tried idle_add(), and I guess that makes the 300-400ms 'built-in'.

How many lines of text do you have? With 500 - 700 lines of text, my scrolling is instantaneous. The scroll feature itself has a 'soft' stop, but that is quite acceptable for me, as it is easier to adjust my eyes to the change.

Reuben