On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 2:28 PM, Colin Walters <walt...@verbum.org> wrote:

> On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 2:05 PM, John Ralls <jra...@ceridwen.us> wrote:
> >
> > It has some useful bits, and seems mostly harmless, but I don't think
> that it will get much use in its present form.
>
> Right - in reality I expect people to be using *Gtk*Application.  So
> please look at that too.
>
> > The action registry is a potentially useful piece of infrastructure, but
> it doesn't really go far enough to insulate the application developer from
> having to learn more than she wants to about each platform that she's
> targeting. She'll still have to have large sections of ifdef'd code catching
> the various signals from each operating system and invoking the actions,
> which will then emit signals that she'll have to connect to with her
> callbacks.
>
> Can you give an example here?  Catching what signals?

examples on OS X would include: "open file <path>", "quit", "this
application is now the "active" one", etc.

> > I don't think that there's much benefit to get_mainloop, run, and quit.
> If the event loop needs to be abstracted for a platform, that should be done
> in the platform's GMainLoop override.
>
> I thought other platforms just hooked in window system event sources
> in GDK?  Or are you talking about something else?

i think that john's point is that glib is already providing a GMainLoop
abstraction that works on different platforms. having GApplication or even
GtkApplication provide that seems a bit redundant.