Øystein Schønning-Johansen wrote:

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 8:07 PM, Peter Willis <pwil...@aslenv.com <mailto:pwil...@aslenv.com>> wrote:

    Hello,

    I would like to use mingw to port and compile a simple GTK application
    under MS Windows.

    The download page for windows located at:

    http://www.gtk.org/download-windows.html

    recommends the mingw tool chain and contains tables of relevant
    packages as well as dependencies.

    I have downloaded the various required packages and dependencies
    marked 'Dev' on that page.

    What is unclear from any installation instructions I
    have been able to find is where and how to install these
    packages into mingw.

    Do I simply decompress the archives in the mingw directory
    hierarchy so that the files end up in the respective directories there?

    *or*

    Do I need to make separate hierarchies for each of the zip files
    and point GCC at the 'lib' and 'header' directories using '-L -l'
    and '-I -i' flags respectively?

I've used GTK and glib with mingw for many years now, and I've always put mingw in c:\mingw and all the gtk stuff in c:\gtk.

This works perfectly, and I usually also add some simple unix-ish tools such that I can mimic a unix system at a "dos" prompt.

To make all include and linking simple I usually have a makefile that contains these lines:

INCLUDE = -I/C/GTK/include $(shell pkg-config --cflags gtk+-2.0)
LIBS = $(shell pkg-config --libs gtk+-2.0)

... or somthing similar depending on what I need.

I would not recommend to put GTK and MinGW in the same directories!

-Øystein

Thanks,

That's perfectly what I needed to know.

I am using the 'wascana' build of eclipse IDE, which has
mingw included in the package.

Do you have any opinions regarding using this?
My first sense was to avoid it, but I prefer the IDE
and it saves me some work.

One other question I have is regarding packaging of
the final application along with the GTK runtime
for windows.

How problematic are the version differences
in runtime DLLs? Will making an installer that includes
GTK runtime of a different version break GTK software that
people have previously installed? Does it matter?

I don't want to break everyone's Gimp.

Peter