I have recently built gtkmm (jhbuild, meta-gtk-osx-bootstrap and then meta-gtk-osx-gtk3, and finally, meta-gtk-osx-gtkmm3) on a MAC MAVERICKS machine. All went well. I then recompiled a substantial program. After some minor adjustments, the code executed as previously compiled on a MAC LION machine... but... icon images do not appear in the dialog boxes and when run from a console window I get the following error message.

Gtk-WARNING **: Could not find the icon 'dialog-warning-symbolic'. The 'hicolor' theme
was not found either, perhaps you need to install it.
You can get a copy from:
    http://icon-theme.freedesktop.org/releases

hicolor is in the .../gtk/inst/share/icons directory... but it seems like it is ignored.

If I install the hicolor theme to /usr/local/share, then this message goes away but the icons are still missing.

Anyone have any hints as to how I can get the icons back?