On Sun, 2008-10-26 at 15:04 +0100, Murray Cumming wrote:

> > I checked. I was wrong. When running out of the IDE, the PATH variable
> > doesn't need to be set to the gtkmm DLL directory. It's only required
> > when running it outside the IDE.
>
> I thought we were all sure that the DLLs were found by them being in the
> same directory as the executable? I am now confused.

The executable is only in the same directory as the gtkmm DLLs when the
application is distributed with an installer or a zip file. This works
without problems.

However, by default, when building an application, the executable is
created into debug/ and release/ subdirectories in the project's
directory, where the gtkmm DLLs normally aren't. Running it from that
location does not work when running it from outside the IDE.

> >  But I really do wonder how MSVC++ finds
> > the correct DLL search path.
> >
> > So if we want to avoid the PATH change, should we just drop the runtime
> > installer? Or, should we only set the PATH variable in the runtime
> > installer, but not in the development one, without further asking the
> > user?
>
> First let's understand what's happening.

Armin