From: Henry S. Winokur [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, October 06, 2000 8:57 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: RE: Synthetic Oil RE: oil usage

> A couple of us on the list use the Series 2000 20w-50 (Henry Winkour,

I also use AMSOIL in the GTS, as Jon has noted.  However, my history with
AMSOIL goes back to the mid 80s when I started using it in my 84 Saab900
Turbo.  For that car, I used the AMSOIL 10w-40, and I also used the 75-90
gear oil.  I believe the gear oil allowed me to get close to 140,000 miles
off the gear box (a 5 speed manual) before having to have it rebuilt--normal
service life using non- synthetics, according to my mechanics (a Saab/Volvo
shop) is about 100K.  I started using the AMSOIL when the car had about 20K
on it.  I finally got rid of it in 95 with 158K on the clock.

When I purchased my Concours, I switched it over to AMSOIL 10w-40 as soon as
I had the 600 mile service done.  Never looked back.  Never had an oil
related problem, but now that I think about it, I never had any problems
with the cam chain tensioner, either, which as Jason can attest too, was a
problem in the early Connie engines.  In fact, when I sold the bike a year
ago this Thanksgiving, it still had the original cam chain tensioner in it,
and there was no noise.  I changed my oil less frequently than Jon...once a
year as AMSOIL said to (or every 25K whichever is shorter).  In the spring I
would change the oil, change the filter, change the drive oils, lube the
throttle cable, clean the oil filter (K&N), change the brake/clutch fluids
and other spring maintenance items and generally clean up the bike.  The
bike served me pretty faithfully for 12 years.

As for the GTS, I have just switched (2 weeks ago) to AMSOIL Series 2000
20w-50.  Since I tend to ride far less than most of you, I will continue to
change the filter at the 6 month interval, but only change the oil once per
year--unless I get in 25K miles (HIGHLY unlikely).  Or unless there is some
indication that I should change more frequently.  Also it should be noted
that the AMSOIL SDF 20 oil filter is about 1/2" longer than the Yamaha stock
filter.  I haven't tried it, but Chris Caputo says the AMSOIL SDF 36 filter
will also fit and it is longer than the 20.

I can say this regarding the Series 2000 oils:  I run the 0w-30 in 2 Saabs
(94 900 and a 95 9000 CS Light Pressure Turbo) and our 95 Windstar.  One of
the first things I noticed when I put the Series 2000 in is that my gas
mileage on each of the vehicles went up by about 10-15%.  Both the Windstar
and the 9000 have used the AMSOIL since break-in was over.  The 900 we
purchased used, and I do not know what was in it prior to our acquisition of
it.

Like Jon, I also am a dealer, but mostly to be able to buy the stuff at
cost.

Say, Jon, who's your dealer?

Regards,

Henry S. Winokur
94 GTS1000, AMA, MRF, MD/MSF Certified Instructor
West Bethesda, MD

------_=_NextPart_001_01C02FFE.A90AB9E8

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2650.12">
<TITLE>RE: Synthetic Oil  RE: oil usage</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>The guy I signed up with is Vic Sledzinski, in =
PA.&nbsp; I ran across his web site and signed up with him.&nbsp; I too =
only became a dealer to get the stuff at dealer prices.&nbsp; However, =
some people also buy from me.&nbsp; Not enough to make any money =
though, I just do it as a favor.&nbsp; Yes, I charge only the actual =
cost.</FONT></P>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>From: Henry S. Winokur [<A =
HREF=3D"mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]">mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]</A>]</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Sent: Friday, October 06, 2000 8:57 PM</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>To: Multiple recipients of list</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Subject: RE: Synthetic Oil RE: oil usage</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; A couple of us on the list use the Series 2000 =
20w-50 (Henry Winkour,</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I also use AMSOIL in the GTS, as Jon has noted.&nbsp; =
However, my history with</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>AMSOIL goes back to the mid 80s when I started using =
it in my 84 Saab900</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Turbo.&nbsp; For that car, I used the AMSOIL 10w-40, =
and I also used the 75-90</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>gear oil.&nbsp; I believe the gear oil allowed me to =
get close to 140,000 miles</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>off the gear box (a 5 speed manual) before having to =
have it rebuilt--normal</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>service life using non- synthetics, according to my =
mechanics (a Saab/Volvo</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>shop) is about 100K.&nbsp; I started using the =
AMSOIL when the car had about 20K</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>on it.&nbsp; I finally got rid of it in 95 with 158K =
on the clock.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>When I purchased my Concours, I switched it over to =
AMSOIL 10w-40 as soon as</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>I had the 600 mile service done.&nbsp; Never looked =
back.&nbsp; Never had an oil</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>related problem, but now that I think about it, I =
never had any problems</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>with the cam chain tensioner, either, which as Jason =
can attest too, was a</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>problem in the early Connie engines.&nbsp; In fact, =
when I sold the bike a year</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>ago this Thanksgiving, it still had the original cam =
chain tensioner in it,</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>and there was no noise.&nbsp; I changed my oil less =
frequently than Jon...once a</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>year as AMSOIL said to (or every 25K whichever is =
shorter).&nbsp; In the spring I</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>would change the oil, change the filter, change the =
drive oils, lube the</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>throttle cable, clean the oil filter (K&amp;N), =
change the brake/clutch fluids</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>and other spring maintenance items and generally =
clean up the bike.&nbsp; The</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>bike served me pretty faithfully for 12 =
years.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>As for the GTS, I have just switched (2 weeks ago) to =
AMSOIL Series 2000</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>20w-50.&nbsp; Since I tend to ride far less than =
most of you, I will continue to</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>change the filter at the 6 month interval, but only =
change the oil once per</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>year--unless I get in 25K miles (HIGHLY =
unlikely).&nbsp; Or unless there is some</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>indication that I should change more =
frequently.&nbsp; Also it should be noted</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>that the AMSOIL SDF 20 oil filter is about 1/2&quot; =
longer than the Yamaha stock</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>filter.&nbsp; I haven't tried it, but Chris Caputo =
says the AMSOIL SDF 36 filter</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>will also fit and it is longer than the 20.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I can say this regarding the Series 2000 oils:&nbsp; =
I run the 0w-30 in 2 Saabs</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>(94 900 and a 95 9000 CS Light Pressure Turbo) and =
our 95 Windstar.&nbsp; One of</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>the first things I noticed when I put the Series =
2000 in is that my gas</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>mileage on each of the vehicles went up by about =
10-15%.&nbsp; Both the Windstar</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>and the 9000 have used the AMSOIL since break-in was =
over.&nbsp; The 900 we</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>purchased used, and I do not know what was in it =
prior to our acquisition of</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>it.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Like Jon, I also am a dealer, but mostly to be able =
to buy the stuff at</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>cost.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Say, Jon, who's your dealer?</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Regards,</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Henry S. Winokur</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>94 GTS1000, AMA, MRF, MD/MSF Certified =
Instructor</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>West Bethesda, MD</FONT>
</P>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>