On Thu, Oct 06, 2016 at 00:26:28 -0400, Wilfred Hughes wrote:
> So, I decided to set it up! This isn't something that's available on
> GNU Savannah, so I've used GitLab (which is still FSF-approved Free
> Software).

GitLab CE is free software.  GitLab EE is not, but all of the JavaScript
served to the browser is.[0]

But their CI services are SaaSS.[1]  If all builds took place on servers
that Guile developers control---like the current Hydra servers---then
this wouldn't be a problem.

The GNU Project has criteria for hosts that it considers to be
acceptable for hosting GNU software.[2]  GitLab is an acceptable host
under those criteria, but one of the criteria---A5---requires that the
host not recommend SaaSS.  Unfortunately, GitLab won't ever be able to
meet that.  It's okay to use GitLab to host repositories, but not for

[0]: https://about.gitlab.com/2015/05/20/gitlab-gitorious-free-software/
[1]: https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/who-does-that-server-really-serve.html
[2]: https://www.gnu.org/software/repo-criteria.html

Mike Gerwitz
Free Software Hacker+Activist | GNU Maintainer & Volunteer
GPG: D6E9 B930 028A 6C38 F43B  2388 FEF6 3574 5E6F 6D05
Old: 2217 5B02 E626 BC98 D7C0  C2E5 F22B B815 8EE3 0EAB