Hi,

On Mon, 24 Feb 2020 at 17:19, Ludovic Courtès <l...@gnu.org> wrote:
> Jack Hill <jackh...@jackhill.us> skribis:

> > I've been trying to follow this discussion as I have observed problems
> > with the linking characters in eshell. However, it seems I am having
> > seeing different behavior than others. In both Emacs 26.3 and
> > Emacs-next 27.0.50, running as `emacs -q`, INSIDE_EMACS is not being
> > set in eshell so, guix describe looks like
> >
> > guix describe
> > ]8;;file://lib-its13/var/guix/profiles/per-user/install/current-guix-66-link\Generation
> >  66    Feb 07 2020 10:38:56]8;;\       (current)
>
> That looks like a bug in eshell.

See:

> In general, when facing such a situation, I think we should check if
> there’s an easy workaround to avoid gratuitously annoying users (like
> the ‘INSIDE_EMACS’ hack for shell-mode), and if not, we should bug
> upstream to fix their software.  :-)

But some terminal emulator are not doing the correct thing [1].
And an option to turn off/on the hyperlink seems useful.
I mean even for terminal emulators correctly supporting the OSC, I
would find useful to display the hyperlink; it eases the copy/paste.
For example, I am using xterm, and I would like to turn on/off the
Generation file hyperlink and commit url. (well, so my tiny patch in
sent to this thread ;-).

[1] https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=38940#23

All the best,
simon