On Wed, Aug 16, 2023 at 10:10:25AM +0200, Nicolas Graves wrote:
> On 2023-08-14 16:41, Nicolas Graves wrote:
>
> >> - either not snapshotting the rootfs / at all, with the hypothesis that
> >>   we get it back entirely from config files. Is that possible ? Is there
> >>   information in / (I think of /etc in particular) that is saved, not
> >>   temporary and not managed by guix system that would justify that we
> >>   want to snapshot / at all?
> >>   This would allow to simply care about only a few "user data"
> >>   directories, and be sure to not miss anything when there's a need to
> >>   restore the state.
> >>
> >> I can't find easily a case of successful use of the second
> >> configuration, but would be glad to find one, as well as some discussion
> >> about what would be a recommended way to secure the state beyond
> >> dotfiles.
> >
> > I've found some equivalent information on the NixOS side here :
> > https://nixos.wiki/wiki/Impermanence
> >
> > Some (rare) directories indeed seem that would better be saved because
> > their information is useful for the system, in the case of NixOS, it
> > seems to be "/etc/nixos", "/etc/NetworkManager" (for system
> > connections), "/var/log", "/var/lib".
>
> Thank you all for your answers!
>
> I actually managed to replicate the impermanence functionality by
> creating btrfs subvolumes for "/etc/guix" "/etc/NetworkManager"
> "/var/log" "/var/lib" "/var/guix" and 4 light patches (I'm currently
> trying to remove one I think might be not necessary, will send them
> here. They basically amount to create directories when they might not be
> present or allowing the root "none" to pass to the mount call).

With impermanence I'd save /etc/ssh so you don't have to regenerate keys
each time. Or perhaps look into SSH Certificate Authority if you want to
go crazy with it.

> This allows me to start with a tmpfs rootfs, and the only annoying thing
> I experience not is that the root password is not set (the account
> password is set though, since we can include that in the definition of
> an os). Boot time is a bit higher since /etc/machine-id and some other
> files have to be recreated, but that's not really noticeable.
>
> I don't know if I'll stick to this "impermanent" mode, but at least this
> gives me the right information about what directories are worth
> considering for snapshots (doesn't mean they are worth snapshotting),
> and what a "precise" btrfs layout on Guix would have to consider.
>
> I guess it's possible to do the same with my home as well (thus only
> saving actual data and not consecutive linking metadata), but that might
> require some more time and fine-grained applications considerations.
>
> @Efraim : I don't have a /etc/guix/machines.scm to save (I don't have an
> offloading deamon set for now), IIUC this means I could be doing as good
> without "/etc/guix". What are the signing keys used for?

The signing keys are used when offloading derivations to other machines.
There's an example usage, with saving them for later, in the
hurd-vm-service-type and the secret-root (by default in /etc/childhurd).

--
Efraim Flashner   <efr...@flashner.co.il>   רנשלפ םירפא

  • btrfs recommended... Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution.
    • Re: btrfs re... Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution.
      • Re: btrf... Efraim Flashner
      • Re: btrf... Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution.
        • Re: ... Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution.
        • Re: ... Efraim Flashner
        • Re: ... Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution.
          • ... Andrew Tropin
    • Re: btrfs re... Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution.