Hi Ludo,

On Thu, 16 Nov 2023 at 15:40, Ludovic Courtès <l...@gnu.org> wrote:

> That said, if you become aware of actual breakage, we can revisit this!

The actual breakage is my own interaction with this file. :-)

Again, it happened to me yesterday.  By habits, I do:

    $ wget https://guix.gnu.org/sources.json
    $ cat sources.json | jq | head

Then,

parse error: Invalid numeric literal at line 1, column 16
cat: write error: Broken pipe

Well, we are 6 days later my last message, 12 days after your message
and more than one month after my report; and again the same mistake.
That’s mistake because it does not jump to my eyes that the file is
compressed.  Yeah, I could do many on my side as change my habits, as
use curl, as have a smarter cat, as write a note, as have a better
memory, as …

However, the simplest still appears to me to have the extension
reflecting the format of the file.  Similarly as it is ’sources.json’
and not just ’sources’.

Cheers,
simon