Hi,

On Mon, 20 Nov 2023 at 20:33, Liliana Marie Prikler <liliana.prik...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>>  2. Do we put this code in some etc/vscode-wrapper that user can
>>  install?  (or that we could automatically installl) Or maybe revamp
>> it
>>  for calling this code via some shell function?
>
> With VSCode et al. not being Guix packages, I see little point in
> providing these wrappers through Guix itself.

I do not want to address here where to keep VSCode support and instead I
would like to address $EDITOR which does not follow the good ol’
fashion.

Well, I see how to write specific Scheme wrapper around $EDITOR; as I
did in [1].

Or, I see how to tweak guix/scripts/edit.scm for running specific
launcher depending on $EDITOR.

Liliana, could you provide a proof-of-concept about « the shell-esque
"${LINE}" and "${FILE}" that would get replaced by Scheme code looking
for those strings »?  Because I do not see what you mean.

Cheers,
simon

1:
https://gitlab.com/zimoun/advanced-packages-2023/-/blob/main/vscode-wrapper?ref_type=heads

PS:

About VSCode.  Somehow, it is a chicken-or-the-eggs problem.  “We“
cannot complain with lengthy threads about the lack of contributor
diversity, or that many Guix tools are Emacs-centric, etc. and in the
same time say no because VSCode is not packaged in Guix proper.

We like it or not – I do not like it and do not use it! – for sure,
VSCode is currently one of the most used editor around.  Being friendly
with VSCode users would help to have more contributions from them.