Hello pinoaffe,

pinoaffe <pinoa...@gmail.com> writes:

[...]

> I think we, as Guix,
> - should examine if/how it is currently feasible to rewrite our git
> history,

it's not, see also:
https://guix.gnu.org/en/blog/2020/securing-updates/

> - should examine possible workarounds going forward,
> - should move towards something like UUIDs and petnames in the long run.
>
> (see https://spritelyproject.org/news/petname-systems.html).

I don't understand how using petnames, uuids or even a re:claimID
identity (see below) could solve the problem with "rewriting history" in
case a person wishes to change his or her previous _published_ name
(petname, uuid...) in an archived content-addressable storage system.

As a side note, other than the "petname system" please also consider
re:claimID from GNUnet:
https://www.gnunet.org/en/reclaim/index.html
https://www.gnunet.org/en/reclaim/motivation.html

[...]