Hi Guix,
Re my previous email below, does anyone know a solution to large define-cofigurations? Can they be thunk'd or something so they are only slow if you use them? Is there some other solution to configure Guix services for programs with a lot of fields? I'd really like a mainlineable solution for email[0]. -Zacchae [0] https://codeberg.org/guix/guix/pulls/10894 Zacchaeus via "Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution." <[email protected]> writes: > Hi Guix, > > > Following on this same thread, I've come up with a full record based > implementation for Exim, but now I encounter another problem with > records. After adding records for all the Exim fields (hundreds of > options), gnu/services/mail.scm takes longer to compile. So much longer > that the guix-cuirass-bot times out compiling guix-system.drv. > > You can see the PR at https://codeberg.org/guix/guix/pulls/10894 > > It seems large define-configuration records are slow to compile, and > simulitaneaously, define-configuration yields the most human-readable > code. > > I think having complete autonomy and hackability of email, the OG free > and decentralized social media that is so often used as > proof-of-personhood, is of supreme importance for Guix. IMO, we should > allow the extra compile time and fix the slowness of > define-configuration later, but this is a decision that affects everyone > (each "guix pull" gets seconds longer). > > What do you think? > > > -Zacchae
