Sergio Pastor Pérez <[email protected]> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Zacchaeus <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> Hi Guix,
>>
>>
>> Re my previous email below, does anyone know a solution to large
>> define-cofigurations?  Can they be thunk'd or something so they are only
>> slow if you use them?
>
> Why would they be slow? It shouldn't be a problem, thunking will only
> delay the problem until you do the serialization, which will still
> happen when doing the build of the system; you would only gain worse
> error detection.

I meant at compile time for Guix itself.  I noticed while working on
gnu/servics/mail.scm that adding my records significantly increased the
time of that .scm with "guix shell -CPW -D guix -- make".  If it's a
problem, I'd rather only those that use the exim configuration
experience the slow-down, instead of everyone doing a guix pull.  At
least, that's what I had in mind with thunking; I'm happy with any
solution.

>> Is there some other solution to configure Guix
>> services for programs with a lot of fields?  I'd really like a
>> mainlineable solution for email[0].
>
> If you mean that the module takes longer to compile, that's fine,
> modules with more services will have the same problem. Yes, you service
> is quite big, but not as big as `rust-crates`, so the module shouldn't
> be in the ballpark where we need to be concerned about the size. Users
> will get the modules compiled during the `guix pull`, so it shouldn't be
> a concern when deploying the system.

Yes, after guix pull, there is no problem as it is, but if you look at
the PR, it fails automatic checks[0], with a timeout on
guix-system.drv[1].  I.e. I think the problem is guix pull itself
becomes too slow.

> Am I missing something?
>
>
> Best regards,
> Sergio

Am I missing something?  Did I correlate my observed jump in compile
time with the above mentioned failure in error?  Are services even
compiled in the build of guix-system.drv?


-Zacchae

[0] https://pulls.ci.guix.gnu.org/eval/7456
[1] https://pulls.ci.guix.gnu.org/eval/7456/log/raw

  • Re: At the boundr... Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution.
    • Re: At the b... Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution.
      • Re: At t... Sergio Pastor Pérez
        • Re: ... Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution.
          • ... Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution.
            • ... Sergio Pastor Pérez
            • ... Tomas Volf
            • ... Sergio Pastor Pérez
            • ... Ludovic Courtès
            • ... Olivier Dion
            • ... Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution.

Reply via email to