Mr. Gonsalves,

Roman Catholic Church is universal; so, it cannot patronize a single language or promote a single script for a language!

Paradoxically Roman Catholic Diocese of Mangalore has revelled in & also revels in linguistic vandalism of Konkani by Konkani speaking clergy of that Diocese. I do not impute intentions to them as Konkani is steadily vandalised since years but, a passionate Konkani considers it unpardonable crime to mercilessly implant accented/ellide Kannada/Tulu words for Konkani words that were & are still in vogue!!!

Ruefully,
WEDS

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 godfrey gonsalves wrote :
>10/08/2005
>Archbishop of Goa and Daman
>Paco Patriacal
>Altinho Panaji
>##############
>
>His Grace,
>
>SUB; RECOGNITION FOR  KONKANI IN ROMAN SCRIPT
>
>The issue of recognition for Konkani in Roman script
>has been gaining momentum. The Dalgado Konknni Akademi
>and TKK Porvorim are spearheading the movement with
>the active support of Konkani in Roman script writers.
>

>Unless Devnagiri and Roman script flourish side by
>side in Goa, Konkani can never flourish.
>
>18 years have lapsed since the Official Language Act
>1987 was passed and the wards of Catholic community
>were made "guinea pigs in the Devnagiri script
>laboratories" viz 125 diocesan run Schools due to
>
>a) the sly cunning  designs of a section of the Hindu
>bretheren who discreetly became the sole beneficiaries
>vis a vis employment prospects being familiar with the
>Devnagiri script
>
>b) the gullible present Mormugao Parliamentary
>Constituency Mr Churchill Braz Alemao who then fell
>prey to their machinations
>
>and
>c) the  Church as well
>
>It is better late then never.
>
>Konkani in Roman script  in an Information Age has
>recieved the whole hearted support of Goans world wide
>especially the Catholics.
>
>A simple amendment to the Official language Act 1987
>to the definition of Konkani to include both Devnagiri
>"and Roman " will suffice.
>
>Given this scenario there is utter disbelief among the
>Catholic bretheren over the muted silence of the
>Catholic Church in Goa on its offical stand on giving
>the Konkani in Roman script  official recognition.
>
>The disbelief is further confounded by the fact that
>while on the one hand His Grace kindly  felicited Fr
>Vasco Rego sj on 8th May 2005 the first recepient of
>the Msgr Sebastiao Dalgado Award for his literary and
>other religious hymns songs etc in Roman script; the
>Church maintains a stoic silence on the other hand
>

>The gruesome incident of some known Hindu
>fundamentalists who trespassed into the "Paco
>Patriacal" two years ago and tried to snatch an age
>old rock formation believed to be a "sacred linga"
> from the "Paco Patriacal" compound which ironically
>was within 10 metres of the Chief Minister of Goa's
>official residence should not be cause ---to numb the
>Church into muted silence from making its official
>stand on issues dear to the Catholics in Goa.
>
>May His Grace therefore kindly issue a letter on the
>official stand so that the campaign for the
>recognition of Konkani in Roman script will gain the
>momentum it deserves and the signature campaign
>intended to be carried out can be announced thereafter
>in all the Churches in Goa  .
>
>The urgency is all the more felt because the month
>long    Monsoon  session of the Legislative will
>commence from 11 August 2005. The Government needs to
> [...]

List owner: [EMAIL PROTECTED]