On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 11:38 PM, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: > At 09:38 PM 3/20/2008 -0500, Chris wrote: > >On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 12:39 PM, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: > > > > >> If you take 100 character points for a mageborn character, and pair off > >> that character against a 100 point fighter, chances are good that the > >> fighter will win the battles on a regular basis. > > > > >Only if you have a really stupid mage. > > > Hello Chris, > If you note, this was in the original post: > > </begin quote> > > If you take 100 character points for a mageborn character, and pair off > that character against a 100 point fighter, chances are good that the > fighter will win the battles on a regular basis. The usual proviso is that > only those spells within GURPS MAGIC from 3e are allowed to be used by the > mage (I agree that some of the spells originally introduced in GURPS > GRIMOIRE are WAY too overpowering or unbalanced as compared against the > original spells in GURPS MAGIC for 3e - let alone with the rest of the > rules!). > </end quote> > > Note that I mentioned that some of the spells in GURPS GRIMOIRE are not > balanced as compared with the original spells in GURPS FANTASY first > edition or the subsequent publishing of GURPS MAGIC for 3e. Note too that > I suggested disallowing their use. No matter...
1) You stated that the mage was under-powered compared to the fighter, then you specifically disallow one of the main balancing factors? Okay, your fighter can't use ranged weapons. What? Not fair? About as fair as your taking away 1/3 of the wizards arsenal. On the plus side, I was referring to Magic for 4E, which only includes a portion of the spells from Grimoire. I stuck to the purely fantasy ones, leaving out the tech magic. 2) My point is to survive. Only stupid fighters stand there and allow someone to attack them. If my mage gets away, he is alive. Plus, he now knows who his enemy is and he has plenty of time to build up his resources to send them out after the fighter. Walls: Since when do they have to be in a straight line? I make a circular wall around me... Walk through Earth: Yeah, I can't keep it up forever, but while I'm underground you have no idea where I am. I may not be able to see you, but I can hear you stomping around above me. 3) The spells I mentioned are not cast on the fighter directly, but on the surrounding area. He doesn't get to resist them directly so unless manages to land a blow during the casting he won't affect them. 4) In most fantasy settings, the wizards rarely engage in direct combat against men-at-arms... that's why they have minions and bodyguards. If I have a wizard on the battlefield, he's going to be back at HQ, using his abilities to spy out the enemy rather than risking himself in combat. If he is on the battlefield, he's going to be using big booms to take out a bunch of the lower resistance soldiers.... leaving allied fighters to worry about the enemy champions. -- Chris J. Whitcomb "I try to keep an open mind, but my brain keep falling out!" _______________________________________________ GurpsNet-L mailing list <[email protected]> http://mail.sjgames.com/mailman/listinfo/gurpsnet-l
