Hello,
Just want to let it be known, that I am continuing to have problems
with the browse mode using 7.1 Beta. Previously, I had reported that
browse mode is not consistently reporting the status information when
loading a new page, i.e., number of links, headings, etc. I just hear
"top", or sometimes absolutely silence. The only response I got was
from Michael D. Lawler telling me he and GW Micro cannot duplicate the
issue. Yet, I have several people email me privately telling me they
are experiencing the same issue.
So why is GW Micro telling me, privately, that they can't reproduce
the issue? Certainly they are not accusing me and others of making
this up. And yet they cannot reproduce the issue, something is not
adding up.
I suppose, if I say that using Firefox, with browse mode turned off,
Window-Eyes is not telling me the state of a checkbox when I press the
spacebar, that they might come back and tell me they can't reproduce
it either. This is true for me. If I go to the GMail.com login site,
the "keep me signed in" checkbox is not relayed to me when I press
space bar with browse mode off.
On another note, it is continuing to baffle me, including the latest
beta, why Window-Eyes is not announcing access key shortcuts on
websites. Actually, I should rephrase my statement. In browse mode,
Window-Eyes is continuing to ignore access keys. Even though access
keys are designed for people who use keyboards more. Maybe blind
people?
And with browse mode turned off, Window-Eyes is giving incomplete
information about access keys.
Here is an example. Let's use Firefox and GMail as our test
environment. After logging in, you will be presented with the inbox
page.
At this point, a couple of access keys are available. And let me
define access keys. These are keyboard shortcuts that can be activated
from anywhere on the page.
To access the inbox, press alt-shift-I. To compose a new message, Alt-Shift-C.
If you use browse mode and scroll to the Inbox link, guess what,
Window-Eyes will not give you that info. If you tab to it with browse
mode turned off, Window-Eyes will say "i", completely disregarding the
fact that it's actually Alt-Shift-I, not just the letter I.
When you are reading a message in GMail, Alt-Shift-R is to reply to
the sender, Alt-Shift-F is to forward the message, and Alt-Shift-A is
to reply to all.
These are access keys Google has built into GMail to make using GMail
more keyboard friendly for visually impaired people. Why is
Window-Eyes not announcing these keys is a mystery to me.
The only reason I found out about them, is when I occasionally check
my email using Jaws.
Anyways, these are a few issues I am currently having with the latest
beta. I also hope that Window-Eyes will someday be able to provide
access key information.
I felt compelled to send this email because I know that GW Micro has
announced that this is a short beta cycle. Maybe they're hoping to
work out the bugs and have 7.1 final released during the national
conventions.
Yet I am still having issues. I certainly hope GW Micro will not rush
out the release just because of the conventions. This seems like a
highly anticipated release, and GW Micro should take the time to
really work out the bugs.

If you reply to this message it will be delivered to the original
sender only.  If your reply would benefit others on the list and
your message is related to GW Micro, then please consider sending
your message to [email protected] so the entire list will receive it.

All GW-Info messages are archived at http://www.gwmicro.com/gwinfo, and can be 
searched through and sorted using the search
form at the bottom of the page. 

If you wish to unsubscribe from this list, send a message to
[email protected] and include leave gw-info in the body 
of the message.

Reply via email to