Jim, in a perfect world, I might agree with you about taking all the differnt browsers and possible variants of standards in to account and not doing anything until things are set in stone. But I don't see the folks who develop Webkit, which is what Safari is based on doing that. I don't see the folks at the other major paid competition to GW doing that, and apparently NVDA isn't doing it either. If you wait for things to be set in stone and then for people to follow exactly what has been set in stone, which of course it really never is, because they're probably already working on html 6, you'll wait forever. Your argument reminds me of what I use to hear in this town from traffic engineers who couldn't be bothered to even consider installation of accessible pedestrian signals until they got official mention in the traffic engineer Bible. So other jurisdictions moved on with life and people who lived there got something that worked for them for years before our city did diddly. What I'm saying is, there is a middle road, and waiting until the last I is dotted and T is crossed is not always the best idea. And how much do you want to bet that the various browsers you mentioned will not all deal with the so-called standard in the same way or implement all the so-called standard stuff? Since when have they done that? I understand why GW needs to put out a paid upgrade at this time; it has been a long time. But I'll bet if they had more resources, they'd have gone ahead like other assistive tech providers and done something now to improve the web experience and deal with refinements down the road.
Mary If you reply to this message it will be delivered to the original sender only. If your reply would benefit others on the list and your message is related to GW Micro, then please consider sending your message to [email protected] so the entire list will receive it. GW-Info messages are archived at http://www.gwmicro.com/gwinfo. You can manage your list subscription at http://www.gwmicro.com/listserv.
