unless you own the jaws 8 disc in that package you will find a cd with the 
scan soft voices which can be freely installed.
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "David" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>; "Bud Schwab" <[email protected]>
Sent: Thursday, June 07, 2012 2:10 PM
Subject: Re: confused about voices


Yes, to be allowed buying a Nuance voice, you will have to first own a
software from a Nuance dealer. Far as I know. That is, if you are going to
buy one or more of the Nuance voices from Nextup.com, you first will have to
buy one of Nextup.com's products. The most famous and handy one, being
TextAloud.

TextAloud, in itself, does come with NO voices. It is simply a piece of
software, for transferring text into synthetic speech, or MP3-files if that
is something that might tempt you. Agreed, it is somehow silly, that you
have to buy a piece of software, which you might not really want or need,
just to be allowed owning another voice for your computing. But that is
business. The alternative would have been, if places like GW had started to
sell additional voices. But if you should have had the same range of voices
to choose from that Nextup does offer you, GW would have to make contracts
with a good handful producers.

On the other hand, you can look at the price you pay for TextAloud (which I
do believe is something just about $30), as a membership fee in a club.
First you have bought the software, and installed it on your computer, you
are entitled to buy any of the voices they do offer. And, that is quite a
selection. I am not aware of any other one-stop place, where you will have
the same extensive selection of voices, from a number of manufacturers. And,
first installed on your computer, you might just find that TextAloud can be
handy enough. Specially if you do things like reading books or other lengthy
material on your computer.

When it comes to other manufacturers than Nuance, you might be able to find
chances for buying their voices directly from their homepage. Yet, it is not
too many of them, that sell directly.

Hope this was an answer to your questions.

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Bud Schwab" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Thursday, June 07, 2012 7:40 PM
Subject: confused about voices


> Hi Gang,
>
> I've been using dectalk Paul for many years now, and although I do like it
> basically, my old ears are losing the higher frequencies so it's getting
> harder to distinguish S from F and C from V and things like that. I notice
> that some other speech programs are much better  for that like the Nuiance
> Tom and AT&t's mike.  I'm confused about Textaloud.  Do I have to have
> that to get one of these other voices?  Also, what voices come with
> Textaloud?  I'm so confused about the whole issue.  All I want is to be
> able to get one of those other voices that I can use for all my reading
> just like dectalk is doing now.
>
> Thanks for any help.  I'm not looking for anything free, just looking for
> a good voice for my purpose.
>
>
> Bud Schwab
> W 6 Z Y P
> Malibu, California
>                  If you reply to this message it will be delivered to the
> original sender only. If your reply would benefit others on the list and
> your message is related to GW Micro, then please consider sending your
> message to [email protected] so the entire list will receive it.
>
> GW-Info messages are archived at http://www.gwmicro.com/gwinfo. You can
> manage your list subscription at http://www.gwmicro.com/listserv.
>
If you reply to this message it will be delivered to the original sender 
only. If your reply would benefit others on the list and your message is 
related to GW Micro, then please consider sending your message to 
[email protected] so the entire list will receive it.

GW-Info messages are archived at http://www.gwmicro.com/gwinfo. You can 
manage your list subscription at http://www.gwmicro.com/listserv.

If you reply to this message it will be delivered to the original sender only. 
If your reply would benefit others on the list and your message is related to 
GW Micro, then please consider sending your message to [email protected] so 
the entire list will receive it.

GW-Info messages are archived at http://www.gwmicro.com/gwinfo. You can manage 
your list subscription at http://www.gwmicro.com/listserv.

Reply via email to