> Hello all!
>
> I'm wanting to make a skirt that looks like this one:
> http://ursus.smugmug.com/photos/33402851-L.jpg
> http://www.folkwear.com/120.html
>
> but I'm thinking it's kinda silly to buy a pattern for something that is
> essentially a series of strips of fabric, and I want mine to be much
> fuller
> than most of the commercial patterns look, as this will be used for a
> dance
> costume of the same style as the top picture.
>
> What I am wondering is if there is a formula for construction, such as:
> first strip is x long, second strip is double x, third strip is three or
> four x. (if that makes sense?) Once I have that, then I can figure out my
> yardage.
>
> Any input is appreciated. :-)
>
> Sheridan

Sheridan,

I don't have a formula for you, but you may want to invest in a gathering
or pleating foot for your machine.  I am a purist and never thought to get
a pleating foot or anything like that until my friend got a new version of
my machine and I saw her catalog of additional options.

Well, I went and bought a pleating foot and it is so awesome!!  Once you
learn how to thread it, it will make even pleats in a fraction of the time
(and frustration) it would normally take.  I assume a gathering foot would
be the same for your project!

Good luck!

Diana

www.RenaissanceFabrics.net