At 16:41 17/10/2005, you wrote:
My mother always used to swear by her old-fashioned
Fuller-brush carpet sweeper (and we kept my child's
version for an extra decade for the same reason). Now
that it's AWOL (went missing in the move), we are also
quite disappointed with most modern vacs.

I'm likely going to purchase a non-electric brush
sweeper for that. Fuller still makes them :)

Don't know if you get Dyson vacuum cleaners in the U.S. Mine is a heavy brute, but takes up cat hairs and cat litter and crumbs and threads like nothing I have ever had before. And the brush thingy on the end of the hose gets in all the corners I try to avoid. (I don't have dust bunnies, I have dust elephants - I hate housework!)

Suzi