Tonight I went to a private viewing of the new Medieval Gallery at the Museum of London (c400-1558.) For a wonder the cases are well lit, and to an extent you can get to the sides, and sometimes round the back. For the interest of this list there are tiny knitted garments for children, knitted caps, a fragment of sleeve with buttons, (in the Crowfoot/Staniland book), thimbles, pins, jewellery, madder dyed textiles, a leather jerkin, belts, a garter of wool, shoes, patterns, a cod piece and various other relevant things like for weaving, about which I know nothing. The wire frame for the Gable Headdress, which I copied for the Museum, was on display, and also a frame for a French hood!!! The think I find most personal is a beautiful fine hairnet, which I had the good fortune to handle many years ago, and it was very evocative of a real person.

All in all, somewhere worth visiting if you are in London with time on your hands, There are, of course, other galleries there to be enjoyed, the 18th century printed cotton clothes being on of my favourites.

Suzi