-----Original Message-----
I don't think anyone has questioned the existence of linen outer garments
from the 16th c. on. The only issue I'm aware of (and the one I summarized
used for the outer, visible layers of fashionable gowns in medieval
Western Europe.

However, whenever this subject comes up, there's a tendency for the thread
to mutate to the point that some read the statement as somehow applying to
(a) other times, (b) other places, (c) other garments, (d) the use of
linen at all, or (e) the dyeing of linen for any purpose -- none of which
should be at issue.

Honest, folks, I wouldn't have brought it up if someone hadn't asked me
directly why I wasn't intending to use my stash of brightly dyed linen for
medieval clothing -- a very specific question and a very specific answer.

And I'm still wondering when the strongly-dyed stuff would have become
available and fashionable! I'm thinking that I'd better use the
cranberry-colored length for a modern dress...

--Robin

I am glad that I asked why not. Though the issue wavers off the beaten path
I have come to understand why you and some others do not use dyed linen for
outerwear.
My perspective is that linen degrades faster then wool and therefore is one
of the reasons that extent garments made of linen have not been found yet in
the Medieval Western Europe. You also have the garments used until rags and
then sometimes became paper.
Anyhow, this has been an interesting and informative discussion.
Thank you,
De