Where would I find documentation on this? Not questioning your statements - I'd like to know the sources for the information. I went to the site (http://paddedarmour.deborahloughcostumes.com/books.html), noted the four books mentioned; are those the sources for the information you reference below? Or are there others? I'm not interested in the padded armor - I'm interested in some of the other details.

Roger

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

At the end of the 14th century and start of the fifteenth, padding was all colours under the sun (green, red, blue and grey seem to have been the most popular - but yellows, oranges and assorted others can be seen in manuscript illustrations, and the coat armour of the black prince in canterbury cathedral has the royal arms on it in velvet).
snip

there are references in the clothing accounts of the black prince to fustian and 'cotton wool' (i.e. raw cotton fibre) being some of the materials used. references from the french of rows of english archers in white (though it's not 100% clear whether this refers to a white english livery, or a jack). a reference in the accounts of a polish count to the purchase of fustian, cotton and black velvet for the making of a padded coat - and chains to run down each quilted tube.
records of a booming cotton industry in southern germany.
snip