Costume-related: one of my sisters gave me half a yard of deep claret cotton
velvet "for costumes"--she said it was an odd present, but I can already think
of three ways I could use it for this summer's production!

Textile: my other sister gave me a throw, Lord Ganesha batiked on hand-woven
cotton (made in India)--Ganesh happens to be this agnostic's (i.e., my)
favorite god and also looms large in my legend since I have directed two
productions of Terrence McNally's A Perfect Ganesh.

Sewing: my sister-in-law gave me a small three-drawer chest which will sit on
my sewing table and hold, probably, 1) snaps, 2) hooks, and 3) decorative
fasteners.

MOST EXCELLENT: Kimiko Small was my h-cost santa. I'll post a picture of what
she sent so that all can enjoy it; for now, I'll quote the description she
included: "The sweet-bag style purse is hand made by me. It is made of black
cotton velvet, with gold metallic dupionni silk applique, couched by hand with
red silk cord. Freshwater pearls, red glass seed beads and a dark red garnet
bead add final touches to the applique. The gold cording closure is held in
place by hand-sewn loops. The bag is lined with red silk shantung."  I will
carry this when I serve as Queen at a medieval/ren banquet fundraiser late in
January. As a creation and as an accessory, its value to me goes FAR beyond the
h-cost exchange "limit"!

Ending of semester (English prof!) plus a holiday production outpaced my
imagination, and I santa-ed a gift certificate from a supplier I'm confident my
partner can use. But wish I had been able to rise to the level of creativity
I'm seeing in so many of the gift descriptions!

In the next few days (as soon as I get the thing uploaded) I'll be posting a
link to a photo I took after our recent (early December) snowfall. It will
serve as my holiday greeting card to you all....

Meanwhile, ho ho ho!
--Ruth Anne Baumgartner
scholar gypsy and amateur costumer