Quoting Robin Netherton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005, Susan B. Farmer wrote:

This painting
http://epee.goldsword.com/sfarmer/SCA/Paintings/florentine_PortraitWoman-landinFig39.jpg
or
http://tinyurl.com/byswr

is simply listed as "Florentine" with no specific artist attributed.
It's almost *identical* to the painting from Rosa's book currently
under discussion.

By George, I think you've got it. Note especially the little curl of hair
in front of her left ear -- only in the b/w image, it goes down along her
neck.

I'll go out on a little limb here. Here's my guess at a scenario:

I think you've nailed it spot on (as my overseas friends would say). Every now and then you'll see a painter do more than one copy of a
given painting that's slightly different -- Artemesia Gentilishi's
"Judith with the head of Holofernes" comes to mind.  You'll often see a
student copy a teacher -- I've seen them, but I can't call them to mind.
But this does remind me very much of the very similar copies that you
can see in Braun and Schneider and some of the other Victorian books of
historic costume.  You can usually/frequently identify the original
painting -- sometimes they are virtually identical, othertimes they've
been embellished.

High fives!  (we need a smiley for that!)  :-D

Susan
-----
Susan Farmer
[EMAIL PROTECTED]