> I think you've nailed it spot on (as my overseas friends would say).
> Every now and then you'll see a painter do more than one copy of a
> given painting that's slightly different -- Artemesia Gentilishi's
> "Judith with the head of Holofernes" comes to mind.  You'll often see a
> student copy a teacher -- I've seen them, but I can't call them to mind.

Holbein's Jane Seymour for instance;)
http://www.artcyclopedia.com/commons/hans-holbein-the-younger.html
(Though there is a third somewhere.)

Corneille de Lyon painted a few copies of a girl. I'll see if I can hunt
them all down.
http://www.clevelandart.org/oci/magnify/1942/1942.48.jpg
http://www.bildindex.de/bilder/gggg2165b.jpg
http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/refo/hod_29.100.197.htm (though there are
some larger differences bwtween this and the other two.)

The Cranach family painted Hercules at the Court of Ophale several times.
I have a few copies linked online, but I have found more.
http://www.artunframed.com/cranach2.htm
http://www.museothyssen.org/museovirtual/fichas/obraampliada.asp?codigo=468
(will resize your window)

http://frazzledfrau.glittersweet.com/gabriuscran.htm
A few on Gabrius.

http://www.internationalauctioneers.com/int/lot_detail.asp?LotID=207&AucID=5885
Though this is an imitator.

And let's not go near the multitudinous Salomes and Judiths which were
excuses to paint pretty girls (from imagination I'm sure.)

michaela de bruce
http://glittersweet.com