At 09:03 18/01/2006, you wrote:

--- Suzi Clarke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> When I make cuffed sleeves, I simply cut them on the
> bias, and add
> enough length at the wrist to turn up to make the
> cuff. I fully line
> the sleeves. That way you can wear them knuckle
> length *and* turned
> back. I don't think I left them open at the wrist
> either - the bias
> cut gives quite a bit, enough to slip your hand
> through unless you
> have very big bones. Hope that makes sense.

Do you cut the lining on the bias as well? How would
cutting on the bias affect the rest of the sleeve, in
comparison to the "usual" on the grain cutting?

Yes, I cut the lining on the bias too. The sleeve fits and "gives" allowing movement. (I use Hunnisett patterns.)

Also, do you cut your sleeves on the true bias or on a
slight bias? I'd prefer not to cut the sleeve on true
bias, mainly as that wastes a lot of expensive fabric
which can be used for other things.

I cut on the true bias. Depending on the shapes of your other pieces and the width of the fabric, you can often get the sleeves out of the left-overs - I am a really *mean* cutter, and seldom have much left over unless I have badly miscalculated in the first place. I have been known to "piece" garments, as was done in many earlier times, in order to keep fabric quantities small.

Suzi