Well, precisely! I have been smiling indulgently at this thread - some of us actually live in the UK, y'know, and seem to manage fine ;-)

Jean

Karen R Bergquist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
I think we are failing to take a very important issue into consideration-
acclimatization (sp?). I live near Chicago and after one of our bakingly
hot summers, the first time the temperature dips down near freezing
(especially if it's a sudden drop) I feel the cold quite a bit. By the
end of the winter season , I am laughing at the idea of 32F being cold.
Earlier this week we had a day that was up above 45F and there were
people out in just tee-shirts and jeans. I also recently saw a piece on
one of the educational channels about a woman who trained for years to
swim in extremely cold water and eventually was able to swim between
Alaska and Siberia in water that the experts say should have killed her
in 20 minutes- she was able to swim in it for over 2 hours and come out
none the worse for the experience. I realize this is an extreme example
but it shows how well the human body can adjust to various temperatures.

My opinion is that if you lived in the space all year round, not only
would a constantly burning fire raise the average temp, YOU'D BE USED TO
IT!!!!!

Just my temperature tuppence,

Karen
Seamstrix

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 18:36:55 -0800 "Sharon L. Krossa"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
At 7:35 PM +0000 1/17/06, Laura Dickerson wrote:
>  A number of years ago we visited Cothele House in Cornwall on a
>cold rainy April day.  It's a granite and slate Tudorish house
with
>fancy woodwork and lots of tapestries on the walls.  No electric
>lights, no central heating.  There was a blazing fire in the great
>hall fireplace, but unless one was standing quite near the fire,
it
>didn't seem to help much.  Dark and damp and chilly, although it
was
>at least out of the wind.

 From the web site I note that this house is closed during the
winter,
from November through late March, and so doesn't really answer the
question of how warm it would be if it was lived in all year round
(including the fire places going at least all winter, possibly all
year round) -- especially not when visited in April only a few weeks

after opening again.

(Another consideration is, even when it is open, is it kept heated
when tourists aren't there, or are the fires only going during
business hours?)

>All those layers of woolen clothes seemed
>like a good idea.

I have no doubt this is true -- indeed, it is still true in Britain,

in my experience, even with central heating...

Sharon
--
Sharon Krossa, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
     Medieval Scotland - http://MedievalScotland.org/