Farthingale's has "crin steel" a "Thread Covered Hoop Steel", I've
never tried it but it looks much like what is in original cage hoops,
don't know about the weight/stiffness.  I've wanted to try it for a
cage hoop or bustle if my budget ever allows.

http://www.farthingales.on.ca/hoopsteel.php

Text from their website:

Hoop Steel/Crin Steel/Tutu Steel

"We have several weights of hoop steel and you will likely be able to
find one to suit your purpose. One style is "thread covered", it can
be bent but not easily, comes in 3 widths and two colours; the
narrowest is known as tutu steel as it is used in tutus for partner
work. The second type of steel is "plastic coated" and this comes in
varying widths and weights. Both require tin snips to cut."

Greengerg and Hammer sells bons casing to fit 1/4" and 1/2 inch bones,
this could alaso be used to construct a cage hoop or bustle.  And it's
cotton.  I also use this for corset bone casings.

http://www.greenberg-hammer.com/store.asp?ItemID=1340

Katy

On 2/5/06, Sharon at Collierfam.com <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm not sure if it would work, but can you try using the steel in measuring
> tapes? If it's the right kind, you could maybe get it from the manufacturer.

Katy Bishop, Vintage Victorian
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                www.VintageVictorian.com
     Custom reproduction gowns of the Victorian Era.
      Publisher of the Vintage Dress Series books.