I have found that the scalloped worked okay on broadcloth and lightweight.
It was used for the decorative parts of a costume. It may have been that
they became dull with their first use because there were times the edge was
fray checked before the cut and so, they did not cut heavy material, kind of
gnawed the edge.
De