Fabric dyes vary in their resistance to color change. Some dyes change color, some just fade, some do both. It also depends upon the fabric itself; in my experience cottons and linens tend to hold their colors better than silks. Wools have held their colors well. I had some acetate plaid taffeta that changed color while stored in a dark closet under fairly constant climatic conditions. So synthetics, in my experience, have the worst survival characteristics.

Pigments for painting are generally minerals, so the colors have a better chance to survive intact, although where some organic pigments are used, they can fade/change just like fabric. There are some minerals that do change color due to chemical reactions with air, though modern analytic techniques can determine what the original mineral was and restore the proper color. The usual reason for color changes in portraits are the accumulation of dust, soot, etc., on the surface and earlier attempts to protect the painting with varnish, which often darkens with age.

Joan

At 06:58 AM 2/21/2006, you wrote:
Hi,
Ah yes, and the purple wheelfarthingale dress i made for Castle Selsø has turned brownish grey :-) Anyway it was a dupioni silk, and they dont hold their colours very long. Dress was exhibited in a room with morning sun.

Bjarne

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lloyd Mitchell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Historical Costume" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, February 21, 2006 3:15 PM
Subject: Re: [h-cost] Princess Elizabeth

Re the perception of color in these portraits:
For you who do dyeing (Natural or otherwise) did the color of dyed textiles
of the past change because of exposure to sunlight or was there some
chemical element that was not always stable and would mute or even mutate
over a period of time.  In the present world, I have seen color changes on
bolts and even garments that have never seen the light of day go entirely
from one color to another.
For instance, there is a certain grey from the middle of the 20th C, that
seems to change to pink within a 40 yr. span.  My daughter"s pale blue
taffeta promgown from the 1990s is now a sort of interesting pale rose.  I
have a bolt of rayon velvet from the'70s that is presently an interesting
shade of lavender.

In reference to these portraits under discussion, might the colors on the
canvas have changed, or the garments themselves have been 'changeable'?

kathleen
----- Original Message ----- From: "Sue Clemenger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>