----- Original Message ----- From: "A. Thurman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Fellow "browncoat" here! Probably a better question for the f-costume
list, but seeing as you brought it up:

What pattern (if any) did you use for your husband's browncoat? I'm
toying with making Zoey's outfit.

Yay, more browncoats! (And oh yeah, I'd forgotten there was an f-costume--I should subscribe to that.)

I'm afraid I made my own pattern... couldn't find any that worked right. The closest I saw was the Simplicity Matrix coat pattern (5386) but it would have needed so much alteration that I decided not to bother. The basic construction is a single left & right panel on the front, shaped side seams with slits starting about hip level, three shaped panels at the back below a yoke, a tuxedo collar, and wide cuffed sleeves with the seam along the back of the arm. If you buy about 5 different patterns, you could probably put them all together and get something, but oww!

Here's pics, btw:
http://www.formfunction.org/temp3/malcoatfront.jpg
http://www.formfunction.org/temp3/malcoatback.jpg (looks a lot more rumpled in the photos, for some reason!) I made the mistake of using suede that was waaaaaaaaay too thick, and still haven't found the right clasp/buckle thingies for the front of it, grumble.

Are you thinking of the neat leather vest thingy Zoey wears? Sounds like fun! I've been meaning to make the duster she wears in "Train Job" (while actually on the train) for a while, but haven't gotten around to it yet... I should do that someday.

-E