To: "Historical Costume" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, April 25, 2006 2:19 AM
Subject: Re: [h-cost] Historical Films

Robin wrote,
(Sample question: How can I be sure that such-and-so-image of the
Madonna and Child isn't really Mary Magdalen and her baby by Jesus?)

    Sample answer - what difference does it make when you're discussing
the clothing?  I'm guessing your lecture is to help sort out the real
clothing of the time period vs. the icons or identifiers of the
saints that were not "real" clothes.  Once I figured that out I
stopped carrying around the dish of eyeballs at SCA events.

Ah, you see my sample answer would have been 'because it pre-dates Dan Brown and in the Medieval period you could have been killed for saying what he said' several schisms were eradicated (usually by violent means) for saying much less controversial things than Jesus had sex with Mary Magdalene.
Elizabeth