The Two Volume one is not exactly a different edition.  I'd say it is the
full version and the Pictorial History is the Readers Digest version.  It's
not only huge, but it probably has 4 times the number of items.  I think our
Library got its copy as a gift in about 1927.  Several of the pieces don't
exist any longer thanks to WWII.

 Gestickte Bildteppiche und Decken des Mittelalters Schuette, Marie,
1878-1960.
Leipzig, K. W. Hiersemann, 1927-v. double plates (part col.) 51 cm.
R- 746.3 S38

I don't remember the text being in German. I was too busy holding my sleeve
under my chin as I drooled!

I tried to scan my smaller volume in, but the definition just sucked even at
high resolution.  Very important when you are looking at embroidery.  For
some reason the Christie seemed to come out clearer.  I may still try the
digital camera method just for grins and giggles.

Regina