We have had discussions in the past about carpal
tunnel syndrome and sewing, going into prevention and treatment and
treatment.  But again, it's something of interest to several list
members, sewing is a big element of making costume, etc.

I think that if a medical condition is discussed, even if costume related that person should be allowed to control the discussion about themselves. It's one thing if a person says themselves that they got carpal tunnel syndrome from doing hand sewing, but they found out that it helped to change their hand position in a certain way, and they feel it is helpful to the list if they pass this info on.

It's a different thing if there is a discussion about carpal tunnel, and someone says, "Costumer Jane Doe has it and none of her treatment has belped and she's really depressed because she might have to give up her costuming business." That's just gossip. I also think even Jane's input should be costume-related, for example, "My doctor told me to quit a session of hand sewing as soon as it became painful. I did not follow her advice and my condition got worse, so take warning by me."

Fran
Lavolta Press
http://www.lavoltapress.com

     -Carol